SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#329846 - 07/31/11 10:34 PM Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I had a great time meeting Synthzone buddy Nick Galea in person today.
He's here visiting San Francisco on business, coming all the way from Sydney, Australia. btw: love your Australian accent mate! cool
We had a lot of fun and good laughs recalling our 6 year Synthzone friendship together,
all the while pigging out on tasty fresh roasted SF Bay dungeness crab at the Crab House on Pier 39 at SF Fisherman's Wharf. Yummy !
It's always a special treat to meet fellow Synthzone Members in person, and meeting Nick was no exception.
Here are a couple of shots taken during our meal:

Attachments
IMG_1216 (Small).JPG

IMG_1217 (Small).JPG

#329848 - 07/31/11 11:34 PM Re: Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco [Re: Scottyee]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Haha great photos.

Thanks again Scott, that was my third Crab in 4 nights! I love SF!!

#329864 - 08/01/11 09:39 AM Re: Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey Nick,

Good to see you getting in some visiting...Scott is a great guy.

I hope your trip is both successful and enjoyable.

Man, that crab looks delicious!

Ian

#329870 - 08/01/11 02:50 PM Re: Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hey Nick...that's a big crab in front of you (the one on the table) smirk

Glad to 'see' you again...I'm sure you had a good time with Scott. Like Ian said, he's a great guy, with a sense of humor.

BTW What keyboard are you currently playing?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#329873 - 08/01/11 04:36 PM Re: Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco [Re: Scottyee]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
HaaHaa Good One,

I think Nick & I used to actually frequent the same music store in Sydney when it came to Technics Keyboards??, but never actually ran across each other.

Used to actually know of a family in Port Macquarie with the same surname, any relationship??

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#329874 - 08/01/11 04:36 PM Re: Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Larry,

That's a Pacific Dungeness Crab, which reaches astounding weights in excess of 5-pounds. When I lived in Spokane, Washington during the late 1060s they were sold in the grocery stores for about 20 to 30 cents per pound and were boiled. The crabs tasted very bland in comparison to Maryland style steamed crabs that are heavily seasoned with Old Bay Seafood Seasoning.

There was some crazy law back then that a crab could not be taken from the beach without first boiling. I guess this was to prevent anyone from getting sick from eating a crab that had partially decomposed prior to cooking. Fortunately, I was able to make contact with a commercial crabber in Seattle who steamed up a batch for me using Old Bay. He loved the taste so much that he opened a crab house just outside Seattle called "The Maryland Crab House," used Old Bay to season his Pacific Dungeness Crabs, and made a killing.

Anyone that has traveled to Maryland and tasted hot, steamed, blue crabs knows just how wonderful these highly seasoned crustaceans can taste. Fran and DNJ visited Dan01 at Bill's Music Store and later feasted on steamed crabs--they haven't stopped bragging how good they were since that last visit. smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#329876 - 08/01/11 04:56 PM Re: Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Larry,

That's a Pacific Dungeness Crab, which reaches astounding weights in excess of 5-pounds. When I lived in Spokane, Washington during the late 1060s they were sold in the grocery stores for about 20 to 30 cents per pound and were boiled. The crabs tasted very bland in comparison to Maryland style steamed crabs that are heavily seasoned with Old Bay Seafood Seasoning.

There was some crazy law back then that a crab could not be taken from the beach without first boiling. I guess this was to prevent anyone from getting sick from eating a crab that had partially decomposed prior to cooking. Fortunately, I was able to make contact with a commercial crabber in Seattle who steamed up a batch for me using Old Bay. He loved the taste so much that he opened a crab house just outside Seattle called "The Maryland Crab House," used Old Bay to season his Pacific Dungeness Crabs, and made a killing.

Anyone that has traveled to Maryland and tasted hot, steamed, blue crabs knows just how wonderful these highly seasoned crustaceans can taste. Fran and DNJ visited Dan01 at Bill's Music Store and later feasted on steamed crabs--they haven't stopped bragging how good they were since that last visit. smile

Cheers,

Gary cool

1060's...I knew you were old, but didn't know you were that old!!! grin

#329878 - 08/01/11 05:03 PM Re: Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco [Re: Scottyee]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Scottyee

We had a lot of fun and good laughs recalling our 6 year Synthzone friendship together,
all the while pigging out on tasty fresh roasted SF Bay dungeness crab

Growing up in a town where fishing is a major industry (my grandfather was a lobster fisher), I am very partial to roasted crab as well...it is far better tasting than when boiled or steamed.

I LOVE roasted (in butter) lobster too...YUM!

Both foods are more of a treat than regular fare...just too darn rich! Got to keep trim.

Ian

#329879 - 08/01/11 05:25 PM Re: Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco [Re: Scottyee]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I agree with you Gary, there is something special about Maryland Style Steamed Crab, with the "secret" seasoning being the difference. The Chesapeake Bay may be the best area for producing the best "tasting" crab in the Country, although many will argue that the cold waters off of Maine and Canada are the best place for shell fish...especially lobster.

Ian, Rosted Lobster in butter sounds awesome!

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#329880 - 08/01/11 05:38 PM Re: Got Together with "Nick G" Today in San Francisco [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: lahawk

Ian, Roasted Lobster in butter sounds awesome!

Larry, once I tried it roasted in real butter, I was spoiled. It's the only way I will eat it now.

Garlic butter is nice too.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online